Last Night I saw Beirut at the Brooklyn Academy of Music, or BAM, if you prefer.
(image from Last.fm)
I'm usually a bit iffy about shows that are seated, but this one was incredible. After the first song, Zach Condon told those in the orchestra to rush to the stage, and that really didn't take much convincing. I was a bit peeved at how adamant the "no camera" policy was, so I have no pictures from the show. I happened to be by a handful of BAM employees who were hounding people who were taking pictures, and I didn't feel like getting hassled for taking pictures.
Anyway, the show was amazing. Zach Condon's voice is beautiful; so, so much better than on any of his albums. It's just so clear and defined. And lovely.
A little over halfway through his set, the Vassar Orchestra joined him on stage. I have a personal issue with Vassar, but the orchestra was a fantastic addition and really helped make songs such as "Forks and Knives" even more beautiful and powerful than they already are.
Highlights include "Nantes", "A Sunday Smile", "Forks and Knives (La Fete)", "Cherbourg", "Postcards from Italy", "Mount Wroclai (Idle Days)", "Scenic World", and "My Night with the Prostitute from Marseille".

No comments:
Post a Comment