Sunday, January 11, 2009

Apparently, Mace is illegal in NYC for private citizens. That's understandable, as there are so many crazies here, and giving them access to Mace and pepper spray could cause some trouble.

Despite that, I need some. Thank goodness for the internet.

I don't want to get into details or to get all personal, as this blog was mainly created for an academic assignment, but I feel that this is something important to talk about.

I was briefly assaulted Friday night in Brooklyn. My friends and I were lost and unable to hail a cab that was take us back to Manhattan. I panicked and I know that the man that attacked me picked up on that. All I can think of is my high school Health classes and how my teachers always said to try and remain calm in situations as to not attract attention and possibly provoke an attack. Of course, in those classes, we also discussed self-defense techniques and I didn't do anything of the sort. What if he had a weapon? That's all I can think about.

I'm fine now and I'll be o.k., but I do not wish an experience like that on anyone. I know what happened to me is probably minor compared to what other people have experienced who have been in similar situations, but I still feel violated. I'm mostly disgusted that things like this happen frequently; it's so wrong and degrading and something needs to be done about it.

I should have filed a police report, but I didn't. Honestly, I didn't get a good look at the man who assaulted me.

What's done is done, and I will say that this was definitely a learning experience and an eye-opener for me.

I'll feel better once I get my hands on some Mace.

No comments: