Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio...

While I was in South Korea, my friend I was staying with had to work half days, so while she was doing that, I was able to catch Pitchfork.tv's airing of the self-titled Joy Division documentary.




Honestly, when I first listened to Joy Division, I didn't "get" them and didn't really care for the band either. I decided to give them another go later on; I don't know what changed specifically, I feel it was more of a combination of my expanding taste in music and the place I was in at the time, but I was converted. Since then, I've made it known that the band is one of my favorites. Both people I know well and not so well have picked up on that. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing, especially with my ongoing protest that I am not goth or anything similar in any way, shape, or form.

Grant Gee's documentary on Joy Division was eye opening to say the least. The only background information I have on the band comes from the Internet or from my repeated viewing of Control, so it was interesting to get an inside look from the band members and friends of Ian Curtis. I won't lie, the documentary made me depressed, yet it only furthered my appreciation for the band and for what they've managed to accomplish.

There's this used record shop that I pass by often on my way to class, right by Union Square. I was first drawn to the store after seeing Substance in the window. I was too scared to ask how much it was (my guess was the it was expensive) and now it's gone. That just makes me even more depressed. I am a fool for passing up that record. 

If there ever is a next time, I won't make that mistake again. 

No comments: