Monday, March 16, 2009

An Ode to Austin and By "Austin," I Mean SXSW

The media clusterfuck known as SXSW begins this week and unlike last year, I won't be there this time around. And it is depressing, well, for me anyway.

I do question the validity of the festival, as the majority of people who go don't go for the panels or films. They go for the music and the parties. I shouldn't talk though, since I did the exact same thing. So did everyone else that I went to SXSW with. 

I suppose it's because SXSW isn't what is used to be. It's not about up and coming musicians, filmmakers, or technology. Nowadays, it features more well known individuals within those industries and it's become more mainstream. Of course, that's obvious when Perez Hilton, Rachel Ray and the founders of Twitter (don't even get me started on my absolute hatred for it), Tumblr, and Facebook have taken over and are hosting events there. In a way, it is sad of what's become of it, mostly because I feel the main focus has now switched to the constant parties and celebrities that will be present. 

I won't lie, when I went, I didn't go to a single panel. I didn't go to any for CMJ either. Honestly, I could have cared less. Besides, I was Music Director at my old radio station and I did my part by meeting and networking with promoters who I spoke to on a weekly basis regarding charts and new music  and whatnot. Basically, by going to their parties and showcases, I was doing my job. I suppose since I was part of the Executive Board that I should have gone to panels that were geared towards improving college radio stations, but I felt meeting people who are involved in the industry and profession that I want to someday work in was a bit more important. Or maybe I was being selfish.

Of course, there was so much going on that I wasn't able to see everyone I wanted to, so naturally I played favorites with the promoters I liked the best and which ones had better bands performing at their parties. And also, freebies played a role in which events I went to as well. 

I know my experience there wasn't a professional or educational one; it really was just a weeklong bender mixed with 4+ days of living in a van and driving through the Midwest; a journey that at first seemed nearly impossible and ended up to be completely ridiculous. But what does one expect when driving from Vermont to Texas?

This year however, I'll be spending "Spring Break" working, doing laundry, and trying to master Pro-Tools since I won't be getting another free Team Clermont shirt, meeting Jens Lekman (or any musician I really like), snagging invites to a private R.E.M. concert, or embarrassing myself in front of Britt Daniel.










No comments: